Skip to content ↓

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I enrol my child at the school? 

For information about enrolling your child at Maltby Manor Academy, please visit the Rotherham Borough Council website as all admissions are managed by the council.  Parents are welcome to make an appointment to visit the school by telephoning the School Office on 01709 813300. 


What do I do if my child is unable to attend school? 

Parents should inform the school by telephone on the first morning of an absence by 9:30am and provide a reason for the pupil's absence. The school will contact the pupil's family and thereafter other emergency contacts if no explanation is given to confirm the reason for the child’s absence. If your child regularly complains of feeling unwell and not wanting to come to school, other worries may be the cause, please do discuss these with us as a matter of urgency. 


What do I do if my child is late to school? 

Any child arriving after 8:45am is registered as late.  All late arrivals should present themselves to the main reception where they will be signed in before joining their class. 


Can I take my child on holiday during term time? 

The short answer is No. It is Government policy, to which this Academy fully subscribes, that children should be at school. There may be a few exceptional circumstances where a holiday request may be considered but we would emphasise the exceptional nature of such approval. If you wish to take your child out of school during term time or have a special case considered, then you are required to complete a request for leave of absence form which can be requested from the school office.  The school has a policy on attendance which can be found on the school website. 


Can my child cycle to school? 

Yes.  We have a dedicated cycle and scooter rack outside of the Key Stage 1 building.  We encourage the children to cycle or scooter to school and promote this during Bike to School Week.  We request that all bicycles and scooters are dismounted upon arrival on the school premises so that all users of the school site are safe.  We do not take any responsibility for any lost or damaged bicycles or scooters whilst on the school premises and encourage the use of bike locks to keep the bicycles secure. 


Does my child need a school uniform? 

We believe that wearing uniform helps children to feel part of our Maltby Manor family. It helps them to understand that they are in a formal purposeful learning environment and prepares them for expectations at secondary school and the world of work.  Our uniform is a navy blue sweatshirt/cardigan, red polo shirt and black/ grey trousers or black/ grey dresses/ skirts.  On their feet children need to wear plain flat black shoes.  For PE the children need Red T-Shirt, Black Shorts and a Dark Sweatshirt and Jogging Bottoms and trainers for Outdoor PE.  No jewellery (including earrings) is allowed during P.E. or sports activities.  


Are school meals available? 

Yes, school meals are available through our provider, ABM Catering, who offer a choice of a hot meal or school dinner packed lunch. Menu choices can be found on our website. 


Do children have access to drinking water? 

All children have access to drinking water in school. We encourage the children to bring their own water bottle into school so that they refill it during the day.  We do not allow juice or fizzy drinks during the school day. 


How do I claim for Free School Meals? 

If you think your child is entitled to Free School Meals, you can apply via the Rotherham Borough Council website Apply for free school meals – Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council.  All pupils who are registered for the receipt of Free School Meals will enable our school to receive money to support our children in the form of the Pupil Premium.  This is used to further enhance the children’s experiences within the school. 


What do I do if I need to see a teacher? 

We have an ‘open door’ policy at Maltby Manor Academy and the senior leaders are always available to speak to on the school gate every morning and night.  If you would like to speak to your child’s class teacher, they can be contacted via the school office and if they are in class, a message will be shared for them to contact you later in the day.  We have three parent evenings during the year where you are invited to speak to your child’s class teacher.  If you need to see them urgently, an appointment can be made via the school office. 


What do I do if I am worried that my child is falling behind? 

In the first instance, speak to your child’s class teacher or SENDCo.  They will be able to share with you your child’s current assessments and whether they also share your worries.  If required, we will complete an IEP or ‘Individual Education Plan’ for your child and if concerns continue, your child could be assessed for specific learning needs by the Learning Support Service.   


How can parents get involved? 

We ask that parent support pupils by reading at home and practicing times tables and number facts. We also ask that you familiarise yourself with your son or daughters class page on the school website where you can find all the information out about the class teacher and teaching assistant. Detailed information about what they are learning is also available.  

We have an active ‘Friends of Manor’ group who organise events throughout the school year to raise funds for the benefit of the children.  Events include bun sales, Christmas Fayres and school discos.  If you are interested in joining, please speak to a member of staff. 


Is my child required to complete homework? 

At Maltby Manor Academy we believe that homework is an integral part of the learning process for children throughout the age range. We know that children progress most effectively when they are getting regular support from home and because of this we start sending learning home from an early age. At Manor, homework takes two different forms, either children will be asked to practice their basic skills (phonics/spelling, reading, number bonds/times tables, Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar) or complete a project in support of their Learning Journey work in class. This is often a research based, longer project intended to both involve you in their learning and widen their understanding of the subject. 

Obviously the type and frequency of homework will change as your child moves through school, generally increasing in frequency and difficulty as a child gets older, but the basic purpose remains the same - to reinforce children's learning and to involve you in the learning process. 


What do I do if my child is prescribed medication? 

If your child needs to have medication at school you must complete a form at the school office. We ask that medication at school is kept to a minimum and if antibiotics are prescribed for less than four times a day we suggest this can be organised out of school time.  All medication held on school premises is kept locked and secure. 


What would happen if my child has an accident or becomes unwell during the school day? 

There are always staff at school who have had first aid training to give appropriate treatment for minor accidents. In the case of a more serious accident, every effort will be made to contact you as soon as possible. Every parent will be asked to sign a permission form for medical assistance to be given in the case of an extreme emergency if we are unable to contact you. 

If your child is unwell during the school day, we will make every effort to contact you. This of course requires us to have up to date telephone or mobile phone numbers. Please make sure the Office is notified of any change of personal details. 


What do I do if my child has Head Lice? 

You will be informed if symptoms of head lice are found on your child or any member of the class. Please let us know if you have treated your child so that we can advise others.  This is done as a blanket letter so that no individual feels uncomfortable. 


Is my child allowed to bring personal property into school? 

Children should not bring any valuable items to school, as we are not able to take any responsibility should such items be lost or damaged.  We would request that children should not wear any jewellery to school, those with pierced ears should only wear studs. However on those days when your child has PE lessons no jewellery at all should be worn. 

We request that parents please ensure that all items, including uniform, are clearly marked with their child’s name.